POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay as a renderer for commercial program : PovRay as a renderer for commercial program Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:15:41 EDT (-0400)
  PovRay as a renderer for commercial program
From: Rafal 'Raf256' Maj
Date: 31 Jul 2004 14:33:24
Message: <Xns9537D083E3AC0raf256com@203.29.75.35>
Hi,
if everyting will work o.k. I will be writting quite big commercial 3d
application (some type of CAD-like program) in C++.

One of functions of application will be to visualize finaly created shape.
I choose PovRAY, because I know it, it is free, can give both fast preview
and slow but photorealistic quality, it is easy to generate .pov file for
objects that my application will work on, and POV works both in win32 and
linux.

But I worry a bit about legal aspects - can PovRAY be distributed togeather
with commercial application on a CD? Probably price of CD with application
(+PovRAY) would be between 5 and 50 USD (depending on program version etc).

It is probably impossible to tell user "go to www.povray.org/download/ and
install this application" - because program should be user friendly (or
rather non-computer-newbies-and-lazy-users friendly).

Can POV be distributed on that CD? For example it would be no problem to
inform that "PovRAY is a free tool created by [...] and can be downloaded
for free from [...]" on program box or in program itself, and/or distribute
source code also, etc, etc.

If program will succeed it probably be sell in about 5.000 .. 50.000 copies
(in Poland, plus maybe later a version for other countries, plus some
smaller version distrubuted with a computer magaizne, etc, etc) - quite
good way to promote PovRAY - isn't it?

PS. whom can I contact by email to discuss it (someone form pov TAG
perhaps?)

--
http://www.raf256.com/3d/
Rafal Maj 'Raf256', home page - http://www.raf256.com/me/